Eva: Short Film


Eva is the story about parental abuse. It forces on a teenager that is trying to protect her younger sibling from being hurt by their mother.

This story was originally Sky's idea. We decided to create her film because it had one central location, the house. This allowed us to spend more time filming the project than taking that time drive to different locations. This was a reason why another script got nicked.

Once we had decided on which script we were going to develop, we looked at it and try to see if anything needed to change about it. The original script had the events happening over the course of many days. When the group read it we believed that it took to long to get to the point so we decided to shorten the time frame that these events happened in. Once the next script was written we went and started the next steps of pre-production. The storyboards were developed based off of the story. However, when I finally got my hands on it and read the new version it scared me. The storyline had become too short. I didn't believe that it accurately portrays our point about an abusive mother. Instead, I felt like it could show and teenager angry with their mother. I went home that night and talked to my mother sharing my concerns. She sat down with me and helped me rewrite an outline of the script that made sure to show abuse. The next day I brought it into my group and they decided to rewrite the script one more time. That was the day before we filmed.

This late development in our script writing phase made it more difficult during the filming day. Our actors had never seen the script, they only had an idea about what their characters were supposed to be doing. I was one of those actors. That was my official title for this film. In reviewing this I suspect it appears I did nothing- especially because I didn't like my acting skills. But I did help fill up other roles. I helped others complete their roles. I developed a props list that we would need, and assigned everyone different props that they needed to bring. I listed out the equipment that we would need for our camera crew to check out. And I created the outline for the new script.

Our communication was perfect in pre-production.  However, when we were filming we had trouble conveying what was going to happen in the next shot to our DP. He didn't know how to set it up, and we would have to do mutable shots because the camera wouldn't get the shot.

I believe that it took leadership in this project because I made sure each group knew what had to be done, and made sure they got it done. Everyone knew when to arrive, what to bring, and what they were going to do.

We took FIRST Robotics sound equipment which substituted for not having e- Comm equipment. Then we also brought our own camera's because we couldn't get the quality we wanted form e- Comm as well.

Erin did a wonderful job editing it together, and the above video is our final project. I would get more footage if I were to do it again and more CU's. I think that I will take the amount I was over redundant with a number of times I informed my group of when we were meeting, what equipment we needed, and what props to bring.

I am not very proud of the finished product. I didn't like my acting. I think that the editing could have been cut closer. I wanted different shots, but I wasn't in charge of the camera so it wasn't my job to change. I wouldn't submite this for somthing. I woud have to make sothing else.

Comments

Popular Posts