The Semester In Review

The e-communications program at Olathe Northwest had a reformation that it went through doing the summer. This year we don't get grades until the end of the semester and have to give Creative Brifts on every project that we are given. The sophomore class has moved onto their top two classes that they have chosen, mine being Graphic Design and Video.

At the start of the year in video, my class had Mr. Allam as the teacher. He said that the one of the biggest priorities when making a video is to have a story, drive his point in he had us play a game. In this game we had to come up with a 6 word story to match a photo that we had in are hands. Then once everyone had heard that story they would put in a card that had an images fitting the story. I won  the game, but it was so fun to play and also did make a point about how important stories were. 

The first project of the year was to make a proceeder video of a process that the student body did at school. My partner, Natile Kriger and I worked on a video about how to log in to the school internet. This video did not have a lot of moving around so the we wanted a verity of shots that included that faces and the screen. The problems in that video was to first learn how to log on to the school internet and how to see the screen when recording. In this project I recorded and Natile was the subject matter. She found the directions on how to log in and I wrote the shots. In this project I learned that you want 50% of the video to be close up on the face or hands.

The second project I did was to make a radio section about an event that happened in my classmates life. My partner was my sister, who did a story on falling from a cliff in Maine. By doing this project I learned how much can go in to the audio of a story. In addition to learning about the editing aspect of a story. I also began to realize how much background information can help an interview. With Mallory as my partner I know what she was talking about and how to get across what she was trying to say. This project did not have a major problem, that I can remember, that I had to go over.

The third video I made Sophomore year was an out-of-school project. Again my partner was Natalie Krigger and we had to do a video of our hobbies. During this project I filmed Natalie cooking. This video had a number of troubles starting with timing. We got three weeks to finish this project in total but a lot of the time me and Natalie's schedules did not mash. Also once I got over to her house I was to tired to even think. That day I did not get either her talking or her mother, that came later. Natalie's cooking video I am really proud of the end result.

Between this video and the next, Mr. Allam was fired. That effect on the class was huge and the next video was stranded.

That first week Allam was gone we made are Blood Drive Videos. During the first part of the week we had time to come up with questions. Then on Friday we went and filmed the blood drive. We were set up to fail that project. When I was in the blood drive room on that Friday I did not know what I could legally shot, I had to much in my hand with the microphone and the camera, I did not know how to work the sound with a microphone, it was to crowed in the room, and I did not know what to expect when going in. In this project I was just through in without an knowledge of what to do or what was happening. So what happened is the students put all there good shots on to the server and we got to pick from all of those shots. My end project was decent enough in my option. Either way this project thought me that not every project is going to be easy and that holding the camera steady is very important when shooting shots.

Our Final video project the class was assigned was to make an ONW...NOW. I liked this project immensely. I did not have a real story during the two week we got to make it, but instead I made the intro to ONW...NOW, and did miscellaneous jobs. I did go and shot the choir concert because no one else could and gave it to Mekkena. In addition to making the intro, I made graphics and the lower thirds,and got all the videos together. I love the intro I made, which was based off of Brooklyn 99, and the graphics were... done. I have to complete my group because I think we worked good together. On the filming day I was the trickster because I changed with Micky. I had know how to work the equipment because of the FCL tournament in FIRST Robotics. During both of the shoots I messed up which was understanding because that person has to be aware of so many things and it was my first two times. The filming experiences was nerve-racking because I was so afraid of messing up. I had to watch the time, the scrip, and remember what buttons to press and when.

This year was fun and much better then last year in every way. I am looking forward to next semester. 

Comments

Popular Posts